6.11.2012

sleep, baby, sleep! : by amy

Sleep training is highly controversial (just like everything else with parenting).  Some people find it to be unnecessary and cruel.  Do you let the baby cry or not?  The books say he'll be more secure if you come to his rescue as soon as he makes a sound.  But every grandma and care provider will say you're spoiling him and that letting him cry teaches him to be independent.

Every mom is a little neurotic to something when it comes to child-rearing.  For me, it was the baby's sleep.  After doing my research, I decided that instilling healthy sleeping habits was one of the most important things I can do for my child.  I put it pretty far up there next to breastfeeding.  I firmly believe that a well-rested baby allows him to learn and function (for lack of a better word) optimally, resulting in a happier baby (not to mention, a happier umma!).

Logan was naturally a great night-time sleeper.  He was doing 8 hours at around 7 weeks and fell asleep pretty easily after his last feeding.  But, as many of you know, night time sleeping ability uses a different part of the brain than day-time napping ability.  He was terrible at day-time napping.  He would nap for maybe 20-30 minutes, 5-6 times a day and only if I held/rocked him or nursed him for a (really) long time.  Now that I look back on it, I don't think he ever really had good quality sleep during the day.  He would wake up as soon as I put him down, so I would just hold him awkwardly in the chair with my aching arms, unable to get any rest for myself.  I barely made it to the bathroom!  The days couldn't have gone by any slower.  I begged for my husband to come home early.  Baby cried.  I cried.  It got ugly.  Like this:

Baby cried.  I cried.
It (I) got ugly.
Then, a friend recommended this book:

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child- $16 at amazon.com
This book is horribly organized, and actually sort of stressed me out with all of the do's and don'ts, but the key is to do what you (as the umma) feel most comfortable doing.  I'll try to sum up his main points as succinctly as possible: Sleep has long-term effects on baby.  Well-rested baby = happy baby.  Know how to read your baby's sleepy signs.  Building healthy sleep habits = teaching baby to soothe himself without aid of bottle/pacifier/holding/rocking/car/stroller, etc., ultimately leading to better quality of rest.  Two widely-used techniques are Ferber and Cry-It-Out (CIO).

I was going back to work at 4 months, and I knew whoever was taking care of him would not be able to hold/rock him all the time, so something had to be done.  No baby has ever died from crying too much.  But he will probably have snot all over his face.  I let the kid cry for up to an hour (max. time recommended by the book) but he didn't fall asleep (and he had snot all over his face).  Point the finger-- I am the worst mother in the world for letting him cry for an hour, right?  It was somewhat of a traumatic experience for both of us, so I waited another 2 weeks and tried again, this time using the Ferber method.  He would just get more worked up each time I came in, so that didn't really work.  It was now approaching 3.5 months-- only 2 weeks left!  I tried CIO one more time, and after 40 long, hard minutes of staring at the red-lining baby monitor, he fell asleep by himself!  That was a turning point for both Logan and me.  Each day was a little bit easier than the last.  We zip him up in the sleepsack, plop him in the crib, crank up the mobile, wave/say "good night!" and close the door.  He babbles and jumps around for a bit, and then *silence.*  Seriously, it was kind of life-changing.  Knowing that he learned this important self-soothing skill made it SO much easier for me to return to work.  And go on dates with my husband.  And shower more frequently.  Seriously, life-changing. 

Today, Logan is a champion napper and sleeper.  He naps on average for 60-90 minutes, 2-3 times a day and sleeps about 11 hours at night with little or no fuss.  Since we started the sleep-training, both he and I have been much happier and less cranky :-).  The process was painful for both him and me, but seeing the long-term benefits (now at nearly 10 months) makes me believe that it was totally worth it. 

But, not everyday is a breeze.  Coincidentally, the day I draft this post is when Logan had an inexplicable meltdown at bedtime.  As Jean mentioned, just when you think you know the patterns, they change things up on you!

Oh well.

A happier and well-rested Logan!

Have you tried sleep training your baby?     

16 comments:

  1. hi amy! love the pictures! and love that you guys are blogging. =)

    i recently read posts from another friend about sleep-training too. they successfully used the ferber method and chronicled the during:
    http://mydailycookie.com/2012/05/24/vale-of-tears/

    and the after: http://mydailycookie.com/2012/05/29/we-did-it/

    hurray for dates and showers! ;) and hurray for logan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey em! thanks for reading our blog! i think wei/jiun also successfully used the Ferber method. have you thought about doing it too w/T?

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy! Thanks for the post. Being a recent nuby mom, it sounds like Logan is an angel compared to my boy :) But I never tried training my son to sleep.. couldn't do the let-him-cry-out thing. You and Logan motivate me and I gotta work on my son's schedule sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi MJ! thanks for sharing your thoughts! oy, Logan was no angel during his first 3 months! no need to rush or force anything on your baby. but if sleep training is something you do want to pursue, i would suggest doing it earlier than later (like under 6 months). from what i've heard, it just gets harder when they're older since they're much more aware...

      thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I just wrote a post on the same topic. I tried CIO but I just couldn't do it. Glad you had success with it! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mama Stylista! i read your post, and like the other commenters said-- you're just following your gut and that's the right thing to do. oh, and i'm diggin your blog!

      thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. awww amy, thanks for sharing! i really love reading your/jean's blogs! so fun! anyway, i read little bit of "baby wise" very early. i was a firm believer of parent-led parenting style as opposed to baby-led (ie. feed the baby if the baby shows signs of hunger etc). for the first 6-7 months, feeding and sleep seemed to work very well. but after a while, sleeping became a problem. i thought i was strong enough to let elijah cry it out but i just couldn't do it. so until he was well past 1 year old, we used to lie next to him on the floor mattress until he fell asleep. reading books for him, lying down next to him only took about 30 mins but i fell like it had to stop soon. so when he was about 14 months (?) we tried cry it out method and it worked! by then i knew when he was fake crying or not so i wouldn't fall for it. each night the cry was shortened drastically. by night 7 or 8, he stopped fighting and fell asleep in his crib quietly. whichever method a mom chooses, it has to work for both mom and the baby... also the timing is important. CIO method didn't work for elijah and me before but after he was old enough i felt like we were both ready. but like you suggested, i don't think moms should wait as long as i did. i think they learn fast and get used to things. i was lucky that elijah sleeps well in general, so it worked out for us. night time ritual is no longer stressful and time-consuming for us. yay for sleep training!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    Didn't know what to do with my first (who graduates from High School tomorrow) - it was terrible - the only way he would go to sleep was if he was rocked. It wasn't until he was 14 (and teenagehood set-in) that he slept well. With my second and third, we didn't care, we where too tired - plopped them in the crib, they cried, but managed to figure out how to self-sooth after a short period of time. Needless to say those two are the best sleepers around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for sharing! I'm curious-- what kind of sleeping issues did your son have up through the age of 14?

      Delete
  6. Here I am at 1:25am, looking up "sleep training" on your blog (again) while T cries (Dad's in the room with her now). We haven't tried it yet, but now that she is 8-months old and still waking up 2-3 times at night... we are definitely considering it! ;P

    ReplyDelete